This is a special 50% discounted price for an exclusive Masterclass by Professor Tony Attwood and Dr Michelle Garnett run by SDS Seminars Ltd in Association with Attwood&Garnett Events. It is designed to enable parents and family members of people with autism to deal effectively with behavioural and emotional difficulties presented in children and adolescents with ASD.
To access this course if you are a health, therapy or education professional, book the full price course here.
An exclusive Masterclass by Professor Tony Attwood and Dr Michelle Garnett run by SDS Seminars Ltd in Association with Attwood & Garnett Events.
The purpose of this Masterclass is to equip participants with specific skills and strategies to make the teenage and early adulthood years a success.
Autistic teens and young adults use specific coping strategies to cope with having autism. The coping styles and the implications of these for understanding, teaching, parenting and managing autistic teens are described.
The presenters will focus on a range of areas known to be important to autistic teenagers including:
- the transition into high school/college/uni
- the learning profile and specific strategies to encourage academic and social success
- the management of anxiety, stress, anger and depression
- friendships, relationships and sexuality
- what to do about bullying
- substances misuse
- transition into a career
The Masterclass is for:
- Parents, family members and clients.
- Health professionals who see adolescents/young adults with Autism (ASD Level 1 or 2) as part of their practice, including psychologists, paediatric psychiatrists, paediatricians, GPs, psychotherapists, counsellors, occupational therapists, speech pathologists, and social workers.
- Educational professionals, including teachers, teacher’s assistants, SENCO, school counsellors.
(We use the term “teenager” for brevity – meaning adolescent/young adult)
- Research on the neurology of the teenage brain and how this affects the teenager with autism
- If, when and how to share the discovery of autism with your teenager
- Strategies to transition an autistic teenager to high school
- The learning profile of the teenager with autism and necessary classroom accommodations and considerations
- How to recognise autism in teenagers who camouflage in school and diagnostic interviews
- Strategies to teach teenagers with autism to develop awareness of themselves and their emotions, for use across settings
- Parenting strategies for the autistic teenager
- How to manage a meltdown
- How to recognise and manage a depression attack
- Understanding and supporting friendship for autistic teenagers
- Teaching sexuality
- Understanding the reasons for substance misuse in autistic adolescents and young adults
- Strategies for building resilience in the face of bullying and peer exclusion
- How to manage the transition to career
Prof Tony Attwood
Clinical Psychologist, Professor at Griffith University in Australia and Strathclyde University in Scotland
Dr Tony Attwood, Clinical Psychologist, is the acknowledged world expert on therapy with ASD clients. Professor at both Griffith University in Australia and Strathclyde University in Scotland, he’s worked with an estimated 8000 clients with some form of ASD diagnosis.
He is author of innumerable peer reviewed studies and book chapters on autism, Asperger’s Syndrome and ASD. He’s also published 15 books in the field with sales topping 1 million, and titles translated into 28 languages. These include CBT to Help Young People with Asperger’s Syndrome to Understand and Express Affection: A Manual for Professionals (2013) and Exploring Depression, and Beating the Blues: A CBT Self-Help Guide to Understanding and Coping with Depression in Asperger’s Syndrome (2016).
Dr Michelle Garnett
MPsych(Clin) PhD MAPS MCCP, Founder and Director of Minds & Hearts
Dr Michelle Garnett PhD is a clinical psychologist who has specialised in autism for just under 30 years.
Her peer reviewed research has informed understanding of early detection, the female profile and the importance of good mental health for autistic individuals.
She has co-authored six highly regarded books on autism, five with Prof Tony Attwood.
- 3-part Video
- Online Test
- Personalised Certificate for 6 CPD Hours