Problem solving skills are a key CBT technique for clients to learn and use. This course takes delegates through a range of evidence based problem solving techniques to incorporate into their practice. Starting with D’Zurilla and Goldfried’s classic approach to problem solving, this course outlines and explores a wide range of additional problem solving techniques that can be effectively used with clients.
This course will be interesting and useful to therapists working in different clinical fields with a variety of clients, using a broad range of therapeutic modalities, not exclusively to those who practise CBT.
Issues covered include:
- Problem Definition and its role in problem solving.
- How D’Zurilla and Goldfried’s classic approach to problem solving still influences the field.
- A range of problem solving techniques that enable your client to alter their relationship with their problem.
- 4 Rules of Osborn’s Brainstorming and how to apply them to work with clients.
- How to work with uniqueness cognitions, motivational issues and uncertainty intolerance.
- Approaches to defining complex problems.
- How to use Kepner-Tregoe Problem Analysis with clients to generate new solutions to problems.
- How a client’s arousal level affects their problem solving ability and what can be done about it.
- Case studies illustrating the practical use of techniques and lots of practice opportunities.
This course is part of the training programme that enables you to complete the BPS Approved Master Practitioner Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.
You can build up gradually your CBT training portfolio by attending all the courses within the programme at the pace that suits you. All your training hours will be calculated, recorded in an individual validated log and accumulated towards your full Diploma.
Paul Grantham Consultant Clinical Psychologist, a Senior Associate of The Royal Society of Medicine, Accredited CBT Therapist. With over 40 years of clinical experience, Paul is the Founder and Director of SDS, a bestselling author, an international presenter, and one of the most popular and inspirational tutors in the field of psychological skills training.
- Full course video
- Full course materials as a PDF (downloadable)
- Personalised Certificate for 7 CPD Hours