Many of our clients have negative beliefs about themselves, others and the world. They make negative predictions which inhibit them from flourishing and which maintain their anxiety, low mood or poor self-esteem. Behavioural experiments are a key technique for helping clients to discover the reality behind their beliefs and to achieve successful personal change. This practical one day course will enable delegates to learn how to successfully design and use behavioural experiments with their clients, hence adding a powerful psychotherapeutic tool to their armoury.
This two day course provides a broad practical and theoretical overview of current approaches to treating trauma from a range of therapeutic perspectives:
- The Somatic Therapies are explored through the work of Levine, Rothschild & Van Der Kolk. These focus on biological explanations and expressions of trauma; the concept of body and limbic system storage of trauma including body memories and “flashbacks”
- The key role of Porges’ Polyvagal Theory is outlined along with its implications for trauma treatment. Explanations and demonstrations of effective somatic techniques are provided, which are designed to eliminate and reduce client’s body memories.
- Differentiation between the following: Developmental Trauma Disorder, Simple Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder are also outlined along with the research base for these approaches.
- Shapiro’s Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR), its underlying theory of Adaptive Information Processing (AIP) model and its eight phase approach are outlined and demonstrated. Issues of controversy such as whether the novel eye movement element is a crucial part of outcome and whether, in practice, it differs in its treatment mechanism from CBT will be explored.
- An overview of CBT treatment for Trauma is primarily addressed in contrast with the aforementioned other modalities, as detailed exposition of it is addressed in another module in the Certificate. Its evidence base and conceptual contrast are the main points of the course.
Video demonstrations of different treatment approaches represent a key element of this course.
This course is part of the BPS Approved Certificate in Trauma Treatments. You can gradually build up your training portfolio by attending all the courses within the programme at the pace that suits you. All your training hours will be calculated, recorded in an individual validated log and accumulated towards your full Certificate.
Consultant Clinical Psychologist, a Senior Associate of The Royal Society of Medicine, Accredited CBT Therapist. With over 40 years of clinical experience, Paul is the Founder and Director of SDS, a bestselling author, an international presenter, and one of the most popular and inspirational tutors in the field of psychological skills training.
- Full course video
- Full course materials as a PDF (downloadable)
- Personalised Certificate for 14 CPD Hours