This two-hour lunchtime bite-size course on substance use and misuse (including alcohol, cigarettes and street drugs) in adolescents can be taken on its own or as a part of the BPS Approved Certificate in CBT for Working with Adolescents. The Certificate is designed to enable delegates to apply CBT to a range of common adolescent problems important to both practitioners and their clients. Each module gives a background on the topic, combined with practical implications and strategies.
The issue of Substance Use and Misuse (Including Alcohol, Cigarettes and Street Drugs) is a common mental health issue for adolescents, that is both challenging and distressing for young people, parents and staff.
This module combines essential background information on the area as well as tips, strategies and practical treatment plans and strategies. The focus is on 2nd and 3rd wave CBT ideas as well as evidence based “tips” from other therapeutic approaches, such as MI, SFT, REBT and others, specifically to address process issues such as motivation and communication difficulties which can often arise when working therapeutically with adolescents.
Learning Objectives and Outcomes:
- Delegates will understand the nature of the problem including relevant theoretical models.
- Delegates will understand the principles and practice of CBT as an evidence-based approach to tackling problems. It includes 2nd and 3rd wave CBT ideas as well as evidence-based strategies from other therapeutic approaches, such as MI, SFT, REBT and others, specifically to address process issues such as motivation and communication difficulties.
- Delegates will learn strategies and case studies relating to the use of CBT to the problem.
- Delegates will understand common therapy obstacles and how to address them
Who is the course for?
Psychologists, Therapists, Counsellors, Coaches, OTs, SLTs, Dieticians, Physiotherapists, Nurses, Doctors, Arts Therapist, Substance Misuse Workers, Social Workers, Probation Officers.
Naomi Burrow, Senior Practitioner / Accredited Cognitive Behaviour Therapist
Naomi has worked for 8 years in a child and adolescent substance misuse service where she provided therapeutic work to young people, supervision to staff and training to outside agencies. In recent years she has trained as a Cognitive Behaviour Therapist as part of the CYP-IAPT programme where she is now a supervisor in the Emotional Health in Schools team.
- Course Video
- Full course materials as a PDF (downloadable)
- Personalised Certificate for 2 CPD Hours