Many of our clients have negative beliefs about themselves, others and the world. They make negative predictions which inhibit them from flourishing and which maintain their anxiety, low mood or poor self-esteem. Behavioural experiments are a key technique for helping clients to discover the reality behind their beliefs and to achieve successful personal change. This practical one day course will enable delegates to learn how to successfully design and use behavioural experiments with their clients, hence adding a powerful psychotherapeutic tool to their armoury.
Issues covered include:
- Different types of behavioural experiment and how to choose between them
- How to avoid common pitfalls with behavioural experiments
- Designing experiments for hard to test beliefs e.g. “I’ll die if I go out in a storm” or “I feel this way because God is punishing me”
- Key principles to remember in pre-, during and post-experiment planning
- Real case examples and outcomes
This course is part of the training programme that enables you to complete the BPS Approved Master Practitioner Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.
You can build up gradually your CBT training portfolio by attending all the courses within the programme at the pace that suits you. All your training hours will be calculated, recorded in an individual validated log and accumulated towards your full Diploma.
Consultant Clinical Psychologist, a Senior Associate of The Royal Society of Medicine, Accredited CBT Therapist. With over 40 years of clinical experience, Paul is the Founder and Director of SDS, a bestselling author, an international presenter, and one of the most popular and inspirational tutors in the field of psychological skills training.
- Full course video
- Full course materials as a PDF (downloadable)
- Personalised Certificate for 7 CPD Hours